Hãy xem qua các ví dụ sau đây:
- She said, “Help me with this stuck window, Bob.”
She asked Robert to help her with that stuck window.
- She said to me, “Don’t smoke too much now.”
She advised me not to smoke too much then.
- She said, “Please forgive me, Mom.”
She begged her mother to forgive her.
- The officer always says to his men, “Never turn your backs to your enemies.”
The officer always commands his men never to turn their backs to their enemies.
Cách chuyển từ câu trực tiếp (direct speech) sang câu tường thuật (reported speech) đối với dạng câu mệnh lệnh / yêu cầu (commands):
- Đổi say (to) thành ask, request, suggest, advise, beg, warn, remind, order, command, give order to,…
- Bỏ đi dấu phẩy.
- Bỏ đi dấu ngoặc kép.
- Chuyển động từ mệnh lệnh thành TO-infinitive:
+ Bỏ PLEASE
+ Đặt “not” hoặc không bao giờ đặt trước TO-infinitive
- Thay đổi đại từ (Pronoun) và tính từ sở hữu (Possessive Adjectives)
- Thay đổi những từ chỉ thời gian và nơi chốn.
Những cách khác để diễn đạt sự yêu cầu, đề nghị, lời khuyên
|CÂU TRỰC TIẾP||CÂU TƯỜNG THUẬT|
|1. “Will you…”
“Could you…”Ex: He shouted, “Will you shut up Mary!”
|1. order sb to do sth
/ say that be to-inf– He ordered Mary to shut up.
– He said that Mary was to shut up.
|2. “If I were you I should…”
Ex: He said to me, “If I were you I should stop smoking cigarettes.”
|2. advise sb to do sth
say that… should
tell (sb) that… should– He advised me to stop smoking cigarettes.
– He said that I should stop smoking cigarettes.
– He told me that I should stop smoking cigarettes.
|3. “Why don’t you…”
Ex: She said, “Why don’t you apply for the job?”
|3. advise sb to do sth
suggest sb’s doing– She advised me to apply for the job.
– She suggested my applying for the job.
|4. “I suggest…”
“Suppose you…”Ex: He said, “I suggest your waiting.”
He said, “What about waiting?”
He said, “Suppose you wait?”
|4. suggest sb’s doing
suggest that… should– He suggested my waiting.
– He suggested that I should wait.
“Let them…”Ex: “Let’s stop now”, he said.
She said, “Let him go to hospital”
(Suggestion)He said, “Let no one speak to this girl.”
(Command)Mary said, “Let him come with us. Mom, I’ll take care of him.”
|5. suggest sb’s doing
suggest that… should– He suggested our stopping.
He suggested that we should stop.- She suggested his going to hospital.- He ordered that no one should speak to that girl.
– Mary asked her mother to let him go with them and promised to take care of him.
A Handbook of English Sentence Writing
Giáo sư Lê Tôn Hiến