A. Sentences (Câu văn)
Use falling intonation at the end of the sentence.
Sử dụng ngữ điệu xuống giọng ở cuối câu.
- We’ll begin at four o’clock.
- Our sales have tripled.
- We’re an equal opportunity employer.
- They plan to work late tonight.
- Cutting costs is the main concern.
B. Before commas (Trước dấu phẩy)
Use falling intonation before commas.
Sử dụng ngữ điệu xuống giọng trước dấu phẩy.
- Roger, my assistant, will be at the meeting.
- After the presentation, we asked questions.
- They don’t offer benefits, yet the salary is competetive.
- If you’re ready, please start.
- By advertising on the Internet, we doubled our sales.
C. Commands (Yêu cầu)
Intonation neither rises nor falls with commands.
Ngữ điệu không lên cũng không xuống khi yêu cầu.
- Let’s go!
- Give me a hand!
- Listen up!
- Look at that!
- Hurry up!
- Don’t leave!
- Click here!
- Go away!
- Slow down!
- Come here!
How to Master the American Accent
(Judy Ravin & Bard Niemann)